Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Welcome to my blog...

Welcome to the first in my series of inane rants and raves about the world's most popular sport.

The early part of the football season has been, at best, somewhat frustrating - I'm one of those rare breeds, a fan of Inverness Caley Thistle (rare even in Inverness itself, but we'll talk about that some other time) and our points tally at the moment is something similar to that usually scored by the British Eurovision Song Contest entry. We're even behind Gretna in the league. Thankfully my footie interest extends beyond the Tulloch Caledonian Stadium (the name has a ring to it, eh?) and so this blog will try to encompass as much football as I can, from the rest of the Scottish Premier League to the English Premiership to even some stuff from the continent (SKY sports is mankind's second greatest achievement ever, after the iPod). With the titanic showdown in Paris with France next week (and the small matter of Lithuania at home first, which I'll miss because of work), there'll be a fair bit of Euro 2008 chat as well, though that may diminish if/when Scotland's dream of qualification peeters out. And when I can manage it, I'll try and take a shufti at the lower leagues - in a masochistic mood I took a saunter to Montrose v Brechin in the challenge cup last night, and it's incredible to think that even these two not-so-prominent members of the football league still had groups of casuals, in burberry and all, desperately looking for fights (they paid 5 quid to get in so more fool them).

So anyway, I hope this brightens up the occasional mundane day, and please feel free to comment on anything and especially to slag off anything you consider to be b******s.

All the best,

L.

No comments: