Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Toepoker SPL Team of the Year Part 2

I told you I would get round to it. And I told you I would do my utmost to limit the number of Rangers players mentioned. Sadly, unlike the Daily Record, I feel required to tell it as it is...

I've gone for a 4-3-3 this year, for two reasons. First, I think it allows me to put in the best 11 players. Secondly, it's because there just isn't an outstanding left midfield candidate, with Andy Driver perenially injured and Aiden McGeady now perenially mediocre - the best I could come up with were Conway (just because of his cup final exploits) and Flynn of Falkirk. Hmm.

MIDFIELD
Winners: Steven DAVIS (Rangers), Morgaro GOMIS (Dundee United), James MCARTHUR (Hamilton Academical)

Mentions in dispatches: Prince Buaben (Dundee United), Simon Mensing (Hamilton Academical), Liam Miller (Hibernian), Tom Hateley (Motherwell), Lee McCulloch (Rangers), Murray Davidson (St. Johnstone)

I've slagged off Davis in the past on this blog, and will do again in the future, but he was absolutely sensational on the domestic scene, both in a defensive and attacking sense, and has the versatility to play centrally or wide right. Like so many of the Ibrox men, he appears woefully inadequate in Europe, which is perhaps a sign of the times for the SPL.

Every manager in the country wants a midfielder like Gomis. His engine, and his attitude is just incredible, I bet there isn't a blade of grass that he doesn't cover during a game. He reminds me of Wilson Palacios of Spurs; a humble background playing for obscure teams, and now he is determined to be as good a player as he can be. Alongside him, Buaben has also played well this season.

James McArthur's inclusion ahead of Hibs' Liam Miller is more on what I have read than seen, but there is no doubt that he is a talented young midfielder set to leg it south like teammate James McCarthy did last summer.

FORWARDS
Winners: Anthony STOKES (Hibernian), Kris BOYD (Rangers), David GOODWILLIE (Dundee United)
mentions in dispatches: Robbie Keane (Celtic), Jon Daly (Dundee United), Derek Riordan (Hibernian), Lukas Jutkiewicz (Motherwell), Kenny Miller (Rangers)

Surprised Georgios Samaras isn't in? Thought not. I thought long and hard about whether Robbie Keane should make the lineup, but while his goalscoring was awesome, I feel he wasn't around long enough to qualify. So Goodwillie gets in as my wild card choice, partly because his name makes me snigger. But there is no doubt that he s is a young forward with immense talent (you don't know how hard it is not to claim he is "good in the tackle")

Boyd was always going to be in this, even though his form has waxed and waned since new year. My views on big Kris are well documented - even if all he does is score goals, well, he scores goals. He has at least improved his all round game this year as well.

Stokes is the signing of the season. Hibs paid absolutely zilch for the young Irishman and he scored 20 goals - Marc-Antoine Fortune scored half as many and cost 3 million. Considering Hibs went to pieces from February onward, that is a superb return.

Anyway, so there is this season's lineup - Ruddy, Whittaker, Weir, Webster, Papac, Davis, Gomis, McArthur, Stokes, Boyd, Goodwillie

If you disagree, please feel free to comment with constructive criticism. Or just put in your pipe and smoke it. Whatever you prefer.

Regards,

L.

No comments: