Sunday, May 16, 2010

Another family final

Yes, yesterday was my first ever Scottish Cup Final - and it was an enlighting experience indeed - not akin to being at one with the universe (I do that on Wednesdays) but enlightening, nonetheless. Those of you who watched the game will have had the general feeling that the first half was forty-five minutes of your life which you will never get back, but the second half was exciting (I was more neutral than a Swiss man in a World War, even if I was in the County end), the sea of tangerine on the opposite side of Hampden was an extraordinary sight, and there were 47000 fans there. From two clubs whose average home attendances combined this season barely reach five figures.

(As an aside, I'm beginning to get narked with the folk who moan "why aren't these fans at every home game?" Well, douchebags, they can afford 30 quid for a one-off big event like this, but ten times that for a season ticket, in this day and age? Only the ridiculously wealthy, ridiculously stupid and ridiculously boring can make that sort of committment - you can decide which category I fall into - it's not the first anyway)

But the atmosphere yesterday was so relaxed, so jovial, that it actually felt plain weird. Seriously. No malice. No poison. No abusive chants. Barely any full-blown swearing (though I did mutter several oaths under my breath towards Andy Barrowman, just like in his Caley days). Just 47,000 people who clearly felt that they were just lucky to be there, and were determined to have a good time. It felt like being at a rock concert. I've never been to a rugby match, but I bet this is what it is like.

So, bottom line, it was a damn good day out for everyone, even the vanquished County fans. I can't help suspecting that, if either of the Gruesome Twosome had been on the scene, there would have been a palpable tension and discomfort though. I don't suppose Rangers and Celtic could be banned from all future Cup Finals?

It would certainly improve my chances of getting to see one of these games as a Caley fan...

L.

No comments: