Thursday, June 11, 2009

80 million? Okay, now it's obscene

I wish I was Real Madrid's accountant. For then I would be the most ridiculously optimistic person in the world. Or I would be smoking rather too much of a certain noxious substance, while drinking rather too much of another certain noxious substance, while injecting rather too much of yet another obnoxious substance.

Either way, life would be a lot more fun.

I certainly don't wish I was Real Madrid's bank manager, because then I would also be smoking, drinking and injecting too much, and I would also clearly be a teensy bit of a prat.

80 million squids. For Cristiano Ronaldo. Flipping nora.

I guess this is the football equivalent of an arms race - Barcelona have Messi, Xavi and Iniesta as WMDs (which take less than 45 minutes to be ready!). Real Madrid have, erm, Arjen Robben. Ronaldo and Kaka' even things up a bit (assuming the Ronaldo deal goes through).

I can't help feeling this will go the same way as the Cold War arms race of the 80s - Barcelona, like the USA, can sustain it (in this case because Barca's galacticos cost nothing) but I can't see for the life of me how Real Madrid can avoid going the same way as the USSR.

Just think how many twirl bars you can buy with 80 million quid...

L.

1 comment:

Andrew said...

Real can afford it because they are sustained by massive media deals, sponsorship and Government interests. But if we've learned anything from the "Galactico" system, Abramovich, David Murray and endless years playing Champ Manager; you can never buy sustained success.