Sunday, May 24, 2009

Slightly less devastated

Okay, I've slept on things, and the world does now seem like a marginally more positive place this morning. Yes, relegation is a bit of a catastrophe. But there are positives and silver linings to find, I reckon. For one, I'm pretty sure that even if we lose the likes of Richie Foran, Filipe Morais, Pavels Mihadjuks (my Latvia flag will be pretty redundant) and Brian Kerr - and we will, as all of them were only signed to six month deals, and all of them will fancy that they can get better contracts elsewhere - we still have a damn good squad available to us, along with a few youngsters who could make the breakthrough. What we really need is a potent striker, but maybe the likes of Rooney, Odhiambo (if he stays) and the infamous Barrowman will find their level. Moreover, we will be a big fish in the division one pond, and surely we will see more victories than defeats, even if I wouldn't dare proclaim we will win that league next season.

I think what upsets me most about relegation (and while I say upset, I at least kept myself rather more composed than a few grown men around me who were in tears!) is that I remember what it was like before 2004, when ICT were in the lower leagues, and anyone who found out they were my team responded with the usual mocking of "and who's your real/big/proper (delete as applicable) team". This mocking, of course, generally comes from those fair weather old firm fans that I railed against last week. But it's hard to take.

Anyway, as I said before, I will renew my season ticket, and I will be there next year to cheer the boys on. Even if it's Queen of the South and Morton instead of Rangers and Celtic, I will be there.

And, I tell you now, we will be back in the SPL sooner rather than later. Mark my words.

L.

No comments: