Sunday, March 22, 2009

Things I learned this weekend

One; when you only have two days out of sixteen off, do not waste one of them on a three hundred mile round trip to see your team thumped four-nil. In hindsight, there are lots of more enjoyable things I could have done, including gouging my eyes out with my thumbs. Falkirk were about due a result, but they were crap and so were we. At least nobody died, and the A9 was pretty quiet. That's about the only positives I can take.

Two; neither Celtic nor Rangers seem overly keen to win the league this season. My own (probably inaccurate) statistics suggest that Celtic's current haul (64pts from 29 games) is the lowest by an SPL leader at this point since the league expanded to twelve teams. If only one of Hearts, Aberdeen and Dundee United could put enough results together to mount half a challenge.

Three; Newcastle are well and truly in the swanny. Have you seen their run-in? It's more difficult than doing a Su Doku puzzle with a blindfold on. Their defence was a catastrophe against Arsenal yesterday.

Four; we have something resembling a title race in England, though Man U have a game in hand and do not exactly have a titanic run in. No sooner do I mention Everton as challengers for fourth, that they go and get beat, while Arsenal show themselves to be right back to their best. In mid-May the Gunners play Man U and Liverpool in consecutive weeks - these results might well decide where the title goes.

Five; another week in Spain, another stonking Leo Messi solo goal. I say it again: Barcelona v Manchester United as a Champions' League final is enough to make any football fan wet his pants with unbridled excitement.

Another international week beckons, can't say I feel overly optimistic...

L.

No comments: