Wednesday, January 28, 2009

TB spreads to Inverness

I apologise in advance for the rubbish headline; I couldn't think of any good ones which involved puns on "Butcher", "El Tel" or "Terry", and settled for the tuberculosis reference instead. Any suggestions for alternative headings are welcomed. Equally, I know the picture is cliched, but let's face it, it's so flipping brilliant that we really do have to use it!

Anyway, I'm utterly delighted that Terry Butcher is Caley's new supremo. He has experience and commands respect, and what he did at Motherwell was absolutely magnificent. I know he has had his dodgy moments in management, not least in his more recent jobs at Sydney and Brentford, but it's worth remembering that Alex Ferguson, Jose Mourinho and Fabio Capello, for example, have all been sacked from managerial posts in the past. Not that I'm comparing Butcher to any of them, mind, I'm not that daft...

Fair play to him, too, for giving up his megabucks punditry role with Setanta, where he was paid a six figure sum for sitting on a cheap Argos chair in a makeshift studio on a gantry so fragile-looking that a gust of wind could result in mass casualties, while blandly describing in mundane language exactly what is being shown on the TV screen and what anyone with any knowledge of football knows already. In short, it's the dream job that most of us would kill for, and it shows Tel has some real commitment to throw that away.

And I don't give a fig about him staying with the Scotland set up. He'll be doing it on international weeks, when Caley don't even have a game, so I think we can cope without him there. And it's an opportunity for him to gain more experience at a higher level. So I can see the positives of it.

Best of luck then, boss, I reckon you can save us. Certainly, you can't do any worse than that muppet who preceded you in the manager's chair.

L.

PS My Latvia flag better turn up in time for the Celtic game on Sunday, I love our new centre-half Mihadjuks...

No comments: