Friday, August 1, 2008

Prediction time!

So the SFL season kicks off tomorrow and I hope to mark it with a trip to Victoria Park to see Ross County-Dundee, if I can take some time off from moving into my new house. So, therefore, this is a prime opportunity to look into my crystal ball and see how Scotland's lower divisions will look in May 2009...

Only brave, foolhardy people will have bet on who will get all the division 1 glory. St. J look strong, Dundee look strong, Dunfermline look strong. But they all looked strong last year at the beginning and instead the less fancied Accies nicked the spoils while they weren't looking. What Hamilton particularly proved is the importance of a good start - neither the Saints or the Pars got one and were adrift well before even one fan said "what, we're playing this bunch again already?"

It's a bit easier to say who should be at the wrong end of the table - Airdrie United only came up cos Gretna went bust, Clyde still have no dosh, and Morton have Davie Irons in charge, so the three of them are good candidates for a relegation dogfight. County have a decent squad and should be comfortably mid-table; both they and QOS (if they don't get distracted by Europe - I suppose they won't be there for very long, mind) could get themselves in the mix at the top if they avoid injuries. Ditto Partick, while how Livi and their new Italian bloke will fare is anyone's guess. If they turn out like Claude Anelka's Raith Rovers, though, I shall laugh till my belly is sore.

Div 2 should go Raith's way, since they're the only totally full time team. Expect Peterhead and Brechin to be in the playoffs, while Stirling and ambitious East Fife will compete too. In contrast, Arbroath, Stranraer and Queen's Park will be more worried about steering clear of the bottom.

And I'd love to predict Montrose for Div 3, to keep my Mo-supporting mate off my back. But apparently they've sucked in pre-season and so the smart money is on either Forfar (led by Dick "Uncle Fester" Campbell) or Dumbarton to go up as Champions. Dare I say it, apparently East Stirling could have a chance of a play off place. To quote General Melchett in Blackadder, "Bugger me with a fish fork"

L.

No comments: